Thursday, August 1, 2013

Beauty in Modesty

Yesterday, my family and I decided to go to the pool. I have several swim outfits I've accumulated over the last few years. 

I was raised to be modest. Growing up, I wore a neck to ankles dress, shorts underneath and well, it'll suffice to say, we were fully covered. I'm not complaining; simply explaining how I was raised. In fact, no matter the struggles and confusion I have had after leaving the community I was raised in, I am still very thankful that my parents did what they thought, at the time, was best. (Later on, they realized it wasn't the best place for me, or them, so they left, me following close behind). Because of my time there, I learned more about crafts, community and how to serve, something that I could never have learned anywhere else.

Anyways, I also learned about modesty. It's been a cause of great struggle and admittedly, a cause of rebellion once I left. I didn't know what I believed, how I felt about modesty or how I should dress. I went through a time where I was fascinated with lower cut shirts, bikinis, etc. 

But as I went to put on my swim outfits, I'd look at myself in the mirror with my bikinis on and felt horrible. I dug around my drawers and found the modest swim skirt my mom gave me and then I found a tankini that a lady gave me that is maternity (I'm pregnant!). So I put it on. The colors weren't "my colors" but you know what? I felt beautiful! I felt good. I felt free. 

My husband saw me and grinned ear to ear. He even told me I was beautiful. 

Being modest in our dress can give us a sense of freedom, and be beautiful in that freedom. 

Modest is Hottest!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment